Saturday, April 22, 2017

Dyeing Silk With Color Hue Dyes

It has been a few years since I used my Color Hue dyes. I had already mixed many of them with water. They worked fine with no loss of color. One of the great things about them is they don’t loose their potency no matter how long you keep them.
They set instantly so there is no waiting period or color transfer to the cotton towel I roll them in to dry before I press them.
Marlenedyesscarfstartwithbeigesplatterdye417
Since I didn’t have any silk scarves to try the dyes on I just used a piece of off white silk crepe. This can be a scarf after I serge the edges. I just did an allover spray with some dyes I mixed with strong values. When I did this with friends most of them preferred making pastel colors. 
whitesilkspraypaintandtrianglecornerdips42017
I was not happy with the way I sprayed the colors on this one so I did a second application. For the second application I folded the fabric in triangle folds and dipped each fold in a different color. This started with a white very lightweight silk. I will serge the edges of this also. 
There are so many possibilities of different ways to use these dyes. And how exciting that they are permanent within such a very short time.
I plan on using more of these soon on silk scarves.

2 comments:

Robin said...

L love the effects achieved with each method you used. How do you spray the dye. I may have to look for this dye to try it. is it easily available?

The Inside Stori said...

Well…..darn if you haven’t come up with another great invention for dyeing patterns!!! Super!