Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Let Your Quilts Rest To See Them In A New Light

It is so hard to evaluate your own work when you are so personally involved in it.
Yesterday I posted two older works, one finished and one still in progrss.

When I looked at the photos I thought "Gee those are really well designed, good balance, good mixture of colors and textures and a great overall layout."



I tell my students if they don't like something, put it away for 6 months (or more) and when you take it out you'll see it with fresh eyes.



I guess I have to listen to my own advice more often.




I can't say that each and everything I do looks great when I go back to them, but for the most part they do.



My years of working with design in various mediums and making quilts came together at different times to make the work I never thought I'd be doing.



If you are a beginning quilter and sometimes become discouraged, there is hope for all of you.

Take classes from the best, visit art shows even if you have no desire to make art quilts, and most importantly - DO THE WORK.

If you still aren't happy with your work even after you've adhered to the 6 month quilt vacation rule, find someone you respect to critique it.

The quilts I've shown you on this post are some of the ones I have appreciated more after the time away from them. They vary in size from small to very large.

They are shown in no particular order.

2 comments:

Ellen K said...

I like them all - good work.

Grandma Coco said...

I've found this, too. With my drawings, I've discovered I can shorten the time out. I look at them through a mirror. It's amazing what will jump out at you.