I never thought I’d make a pin cushion that was this much work. These appealed to me and I happened to have some scraps of these border prints I cut off the ends of some quilt borders.
The symmetry and design of the finished pieces were worth the time.
I am burned out from working on larger more involved projects after the last few years completing around 100 works for my show in early 2017.
I also had enough scraps of a border print to make this larger one. The larger size was easier to construct. I was afraid I would run out of wool batting scrap which is what I stuff them with. I made it with batting to spare. I love using wool batting to stuff. It holds the shape well and is so easy to stick pins in.
You can see the difference in size of the two of them. The pieces for the red one were cut on the bias. The green ones used pieces cut on the straight of grain.
The buttons came from a friends late Mom’s button box and are very old.
Sometimes we just need a little therapy sewing and this stint turned up two pincushions I am in love with.